Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Best Zucchini Bread Ever!

I'm channeling my cousin Amanda Metternich today and her blog Whistle While you Whisk.  Since she is spending her summer scooping Elephant poo rather than cooking/baking I had to post this in her honor : )

I was given some zucchini from Larry Kraft's garden and wanted to make some bread with them.  I did some searching on allrecipes.com and found this recipe.  After reading some of the reviews I decided to make a few tweaks to the recipe.  I substituted the white sugar for brown and cut it down to 1 cup and added 1/2 cup of honey.  I also added an additional cup of zucchini.

My Mama taught me to sift my ingredients onto a paper plate (who wants to wash another bowl!)

When you combine the ingredients it resembles cookie batter but once the zucchini is added it thins out a bit from the moisture
This produced the most moist and sweet bread I have had in a while...yummy!

Here is my updated recipe.  Enjoy!!  I baked mine for 50 mins and it was perfect!!   

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts (I didn't add these)

Directions

  1. Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
  3. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
  4. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

1 comment:

  1. Haha thanks for the honorary post, Sarah! Looks delicious =)

    ReplyDelete