Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gluten Free Baking Round 1!

I decided after my first few days of being gluten free that I should attempt to bake something.  I can't see myself living without some sort of baked good every once and a while or a bun for my burger.  After doing some research I found a great site that has recipes that don't use 14 different kinds of gluten free flours and a bunch of other junk I have never heard of.  She uses almond flour and Coconut flour in most of her recipes.  It was not easy to find these either.  I went to Trader Joe's and found almond meal (a close relative of almond flour) but no coconut flour.  After heading to a health food store nearby I was able to find the coconut flour.  I came home with two pounds of flour for $14...seriously.  This had better be good!!!!  I found a site online that sells almond and coconut flours in bulk and I can get them for about $4/lb so that will be my route from here on out.

I started with a cheddar and onion bun/biscuit recipe that sounded good and flavorful.  It was pretty easy to put together.


See the small amount of flour I got from each bag...bummer!
Threw everything into my Ninja to combine...LOVE my Ninja!
Biscuits complete...they are soft in the middle with a little bite to them

Buns fresh out of the oven
Used my biscuit to make a chicken breast sandwich for lunch :)

    I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.  I'm not going to lie and say it is exactly like a biscuit made from wheat flour, but it is tasty.  I was excited that my first effort wasn't a total flop and yielded a tasty result that I actually can eat!  You can find the recipe here if you want it.

Since my first attempt went well I decided it was time for something sweet!  Chocolate Peanut Butter Muffins!  This came from the same site and is actually flour-less so any of you can make them and they are awesome!!

Super easy and awesome!

As always when chocolate is involved my little helper is close by!

Hail to the Chocolate!!!!!
Time to enjoy the fruits of my labor
Josh, Olivia and I have all been tearing these up.  If they love them you will too.  Here is the recipe, enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I had pizza last night..I should listen to my dr and go gluten free!

    ReplyDelete